Wednesday, April 16, 2008

In case there is any doubt, I am the author of the following Craigslist post. See the response from someone below.

BART Rider


Reply to: pers-645287829@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-04-16, 8:23PM PDT


If you ride BART, please be mindful of those in need of a seat. I am nearly 8 months pregnant, and on my train home several people averted their eyes instead of offering me a seat. These were able-bodied people, not elderly or disabled folks. In fact, even when seats became available, people quickly nabbed them instead of offering them to the lady with a visible baby bump.

I was a little surprised that no one offered their seat. But I was even more aghast that no one on the train asked those seated to do the right thing. All it takes is one courteous person to make a significant difference to someone in need.

Thanks for reading my post.

Response received by email:

Subject: BART Rider
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:47:11 -0700

Hi,
I am sorry to hear that no one let you sit down on BART today. On a positive note, though, you sound like a wonderful future mother.
Robert

1 comment:

redheadmomma said...

I'm not sure why you made the choice to stew anonymously rather than directly asking for what you needed. If you had simply asked, I'd bet you $100 someone would have been given up their seat and given you some consideration.