Monday, June 23, 2008

Week 41

Today marks the 9 month anniversary of my wedding. I had started to wonder if perhaps baby was waiting to hatch on this day - the 9 month anniversary of his conception. Well, labor hasn't started yet and it's nearly 10:00pm. It doesn't look like today is the day.

So, again I have to let go of my own conceptions of what his birth will be and/or when it will happen and just BE HERE NOW.

Today I went in for my second acupuncture appointment since I hit 40 weeks. My practitioner gave me a hug on the way out and declined to put me on her schedule. She doesn't think that I'll need another session. She believes that baby is on his way.

Tomorrow I go in for the non-stress test. They will be monitoring baby's movements and heartbeat, checking amniotic fluid levels, and evaluating his general well being in the womb. My acupuncturist feels confident that he is well and I agree completely. She noted that I don't have any swelling of the feet or ankles, that my pulse is strong and steady and that my body seems at ease and full of chi. She said that my pregnancy is the strongest that she has ever seen. I have to admit, except for a few bumps in the road, like indigestion, I have to agree.

After the non-stress test, I have my routine weekly prenatal appointment. The difference with this week is that my doctor will not be the attending physician. She will be working with the residents at the hospital, so she wasn't available to see me. The person that I will be meeting with will be a resident. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about this. I've heard of women who have gone into labor after a pelvic exam. I've heard of doctor's stripping membranes without consulting with the patient in advance. Even if neither of these fears is founded, I was also told that we would enter into a conversation about induction at this appointment. I would feel much more comfortable navigating this road with my doctor who is an osteopath and whom I trust. I DO NOT WANT TO BE INDUCED unless it is medically necessary for my health or the health of my baby.

So, I intend to push back tomorrow in this conversation. I won't let anyone near me with a needle or schedule a time to rupture my membranes until Friday at the earliest, and preferably on Monday - the start of Week 42. Of course, it is my hope that my acupuncturist is correct and I won't need further measures to see my labor start a natural course. If I come out of my appointments tomorrow with a date that they will induce, I will call my acupuncturist straight away and request another appointment (or two) prior to that date.

I've finally packed my bags (1 for labor, 1 for the hospital stay). I've got baby's coming home outfit in the dryer right now, so that will be in the bag by the end of the night. I have written the thank you cards for the gifts we have received to date. I've got food stocked in the kitchen. If he came tomorrow, I'd be ready. If he doesn't come tomorrow, I'll keep working toward feathering my nest...and finishing the project I mentioned before. I'm almost done. I'd better get back to that now.

1 comment:

pixiemama said...

Your patience amazes me! I had 2 of my children on the first day of my 37th week and 2 on the first day of my 38th week - and I was impatient then! I was never induced. It's so interesting how some babies come "early" and some "late" and how their arrival is supposed to coincide with our expectations.

You are doing an amazing job at waiting for the right time for your baby. I bet you're going to be a very patient mother.

Hang in there!

PS - If your OB resident strips your membranes, you'll know it. It's unpleasant.